When we're not in the garden:
Gardening is our passion. As both career and pastime it does
occupy most of our hours, but we do have other interests. Since our
hobbies and experience beyond the garden can influence our advice
and designs, it may help you to know that we like:
- Traveling, to see different places, faces and ways of doing
things. (Below, Amsterdam, where they pack a lot of garden into any
tiny place!) We've been to Europe, Mexico and Canada but usually
the time we have available keeps us closer to home... although
"home" is pretty broadly defined. For instance, we had this
exchange one Friday, then jumped in the car:
"Hey, Steven, your appointment for tomorrow cancelled."
"So we're free for almost two days? Want to drive up to
Minneapolis to the Arboretum?!"
- Walking with our dogs. Black labs have been our favorites for
the past 20 years. Our current pair of labs are 11 year old Kolme
the helper-genius and 7 year old Yippee Kiyo (Kiyo) the
- Making life interesting for our cat, Fraxinus, a.k.a. Fraxy or
- Fishing. One of us doesn't sit well in a boat but the other
will wade, row, motor or sit anywhere, anytime if given a
- Reading. Historical fiction, mysteries, science fiction and
fantasy are favorites.
- Perfecting the art of channeling Santa Claus.
- Sewing. Not in a major way. Things like enjoyably keeping one
Santa properly attired and a couple pairs of favorite work pants in
operation via creative patching.
- Spending time with our kids. Who aren't kids any
- Watching some sports and playing others: Softball, hockey,
bowling, foosball (no, that's not misspelled)...
- Cooking. With fresh produce and from scratch, which makes us
truly appreciate food. Specialties: Spaghetti sauce, fruit bars,
stuffed cabbage, vegetarian lasagna...
And just in case it ever matters to you, we do very little:
- Housekeeping. We keep it neat but can't seem to find the time
and enthusiasm for fixing up. And we'd rather be outdoors. Thus
things in our home/office are mostly held together with baling wire